Monitoring IPv6-MAC mappings

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 17:37:39 CEST 2013

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Phil Mayers wrote:

> On 02/04/13 14:39, Phil Mayers wrote:
>
> > optional!) and what products would people suggest / are people using?
> > Bonus points for sensible handling of link-local addresses and subnets
> > with >1 router.
>
> So it's interesting how many of the suggestions are "packet capture"
> based, which of course requires access to the subnet layer2. My gut
> feeling is that this is unworkable in a lot of enterprise networks - do
> people concur?

Related, I was thinking about things along the same lines.  One thought
I've had in the back of my mind was to have a wee Shivaplug or similar
device attached directly to each L3 router, into which the L2 vlans can be
trunked, and it can collate the info for central gathering.  (The actual
application I had in mind was as a remote 'test point' for network
monitoring and possibly network sniffer for those ad hoc times you
sometimes wish you had one when you are far away from a place with
something going on).

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.