Monitoring IPv6-MAC mappings

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Apr 2 15:39:42 CEST 2013

All,

I had a couple of queries about my recent post asking how we did this,
which surprised me; I thought it was a pretty tractable problem. We use
a (very simple) bespoke system, but I was under the impression most
people used one of the various open-source or commercial offerings (e.g
NAV, Slaacer, and the like).

However - I then found I had trouble locating these in Google, perhaps
because I wasn't picking the right terms, but maybe they don't have good
Google Juice?

On that basis, what term(s) would people use to refer to systems that
poll the network to record which MAC adress is using what IP (IPv6, IPv4
optional!) and what products would people suggest / are people using?
Bonus points for sensible handling of link-local addresses and subnets
with >1 router.

[Bear in mind I don't need a product personally - we have in-house
systems that do this - and things like RADIUS and DHCP logs are not
quite what I mean]

Does anyone have suggestions for a good home that list could live, so it
could get decent search engine rankings? It was suggested to me that
some people consider lack of such monitoring a "blocker", so making
these more find-able would be a plus.

Cheers,
Phil