Come Sunday, all U.S. Federal Govt. agencies must support IPv6 on outward facing Web sites

Dan York york at isoc.org
Tue Sep 25 19:00:21 CEST 2012

Steven,

You might also want to note the list NIST maintains of all the US gov't web sites that have IPv6 enabled - it's listed on the NIST page as "World IPv6 Launch Sites" because they built the page for World IPv6 Launch, but they have been updating it regularly:

http://usgv6-deploymon.antd.nist.gov/cgi-bin/generate-all.www

Currently showing 305 sites.    This article in PC World quotes an Akamai source saying that they will be IPv6-enabling another 300 - 400 sites by this coming Friday:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2010530/how-the-us-is-winning-the-race-to-nextgen-internet.html

One more comment below...

On Sep 25, 2012, at 12:30 PM, Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-09-25 at 12:18 -0400, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
>
>> http://usgv6-deploymon.antd.nist.gov/cgi-bin/generate-gov
>>
> Thanks. Very handy. I'd checked NIST, but I managed to miss this.

Also do note a subtle nuance in what NIST is tracking on that particular page.  They are monitoring "unique configured service interfaces" which translates not into web *sites* but rather web *servers*, i.e. network interface cards.  Any of those web servers could in fact be hosting multiple (and many) individual web sites. So there is not an exact correlation between the info on this page and the other pages that are tracking individual domains.

I personally find this page more interesting:

http://usgv6-deploymon.antd.nist.gov/snap-all.html

as it compares the USG stats to those of industry and universities based on lists NIST has been tracking. (And shows how much better the USG is doing than either industry or universities.)   For the USG IPv6-enabled domains, note that the "Operational" category is for sites that have all three - web, mail and DNS - working over IPv6, while the "In Progress" means at least one of the three is working (and I suspect that is mostly web).

Given that many (most?) agencies only started on IPv6 with the mandate two years ago, it's rather impressive how far they have all come given the highly distributed nature of the US government agencies and their many different contracts, IT vendors, equipment, etc..

Regards,
Dan  (who was curious about these stats once before and asked someone at NIST questions)

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society
Jabber: york at jabber.isoc.org
Skype: danyork   http://twitter.com/danyork

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/