IPv6 and DNS for the residential service provider

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Sep 25 15:05:55 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-25 13:44, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 01:36:28PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>> On 2012-09-25 11:44, Ole Trøan wrote:
>>> there is a recurring question being asked though... and that is "do
>>> we really need reverse DNS for IPv6?"
>> Yes, because IPv6 addresses look really ugly in 'who' output...
>
> Then we should fix the tools.

The tools use this standardized lookup under ip6.arpa...

>> Reverse is required to be able to nicely map an IP to to a hostname so
>> that people going through logs can see 'ah that is that host' instead of
>> having to memorize them, that is why we have DNS in the first place.
>>
>> And that even goes for a home environment, especially because more and
>> more people will work from home and connect to their workplaces.
>
> That's broken with privacy extensions anyway.

People who enable privacy extensions do not want reverse DNS.

People who want reverse DNS disable privacy extensions, as those people
already realize that organizations that track do it with different
methods (the /64 it is from, the /48 it is from or cookies and lots of
other ways they already track people behind vast NATs, eg behavior etc).

Greets,
 Jeroen