IPv6 and DNS for the residential service provider

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Mon Sep 24 22:59:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 02:32:05PM -0400, Ron Vachiyer wrote:
> 3) Dynamic DNS updates.  At first this sounds interesting, except that from what I can tell most current OSs don't by default register in DNS, and if they do, don't use the domain obtained by DHCP unless that is enabled as well.  And, IP-based DNS updates are inherently insecure.

3a) portal based self-service DNS

Aka "the customer logs into your customer service portal and can enter
reverse DNS entries that get propagated to DNS by nsupdate etc."

(As most residential customers do not really care, and those that do
will manage to use the portal)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279