IPv6 DNS Config Strategies

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Thu Sep 20 11:07:20 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 03:18:00PM -0600, Tim Densmore wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've looked around at how-to docs, and have tinkered enough to get
> my feet wet, but would really like to have a good strategy for a
> layout when setting up BIND for v6.  For v4, I have my forwards and
> reverses cut up into multiple files that cover a /24 each.  This
> makes for tidy files, and lets me get to what I need to change
> quickly.  For v6 I can't see doing that for /64s, obviously, or even
> /48s, unless I just set the files up as I need them.  Reverse gets
> even more tricky.  I'd prefer to run with origin statements and PTRs
> of a reasonable string length, but again, do I do this at the /48
> level?  An origin of /48 still leaves a long string to work with.
>
> Is there a good BCP doc anyone could point me to?

We currently automatically export all DNS from our custom network
inventory and configuraton database so we dont have issues with
segmenting/delegating ip6.arpa subnets except customer address space.

I am yet unshure how to do reverse/fwd DNS for IPv6 FTTx subscriber
prefixes. Currently i export an wildcard reverse DNS for each
dhcp-pd and dhcp-ra prefix which is not what we would really want.

A couple years back we had discussions with a big CPE Vendor
on how this could be solved and an idea was do delegate
the DNS of a dhcp-pd prefix to a predefined address within that
dhcp-pd prefix e.g.

	$revprefix.ip6.arpa IN NS $prefix::53

or something so the CPE could provide Dynamic DNS from DHCP Hostname
options or something. We would need the same for forward DNS but that'll
be easy - simple make it a $prefix.pool.$ispname and delegate it to the
very same prefix special address and hand out the domain name in the
DHCPv6.

I have not yet seen open discussions about this. Would be a nice
addition to RFC6204. For CPEs to support this we'd need standardisation.

DNS in the customers hands - I guess not everybody will like it but its
the spirit of IP ...

Flo