IPv6 DNS Config Strategies

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Sep 20 10:46:50 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:40:30PM -0400, Cutler James R wrote:
> Some old hands at naming and addressing management would suggest organizing A/AAAA zones based on naming authority and natural breaks in the DNS tree.  Then create PTR zones with whatever automated process fits your business.  Worrying about some poor human and string lengths is counter-productive.
>
> As Norbert Weiner would, consider the "Human Use of Human Beings". In other words, create zones to follow the business requirements for management of naming, including delegation of authority as required, and let automation satisfy any PTR requirements.

+1

... this is about what we're doing, except that the automatization isn't
fully there yet.

We have our /32 broken down into /40s (to avoid the /32 zone from getting
too big), and then to /48.  Individual hosts get added to the /48 zone,
or to a /64 zone "if there is enough" - if there are only 5 PTRs in a
whole /48, it doesn't make sense to add a /64 delegation...

(We use classic BIND zone files.  If you run database based backends,
the whole notion of "separate zones" only makes sense to keep zone transfer
size down - in that case, "follow administrative boundaries and insert
sub-zones if size requires it"...)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279