IPv6 DNS Config Strategies

Nicolas CARTRON nicolas at ncartron.org
Thu Sep 20 06:49:42 CEST 2012

Hi Tim,

On Sep 20, 2012 12:25 AM, "Tim Densmore" <tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com>
wrote:

> […]
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I'm looking for a BCP paper or suggestions for DNS config for v6, not an
IPAM.  Am I missing something?

<disclosure> : I'm working for a DDI vendor, but will stay neutral
</disclosure>

I think that what Joseph had in mind is the automation part of IPAM, or DDI
(DNS/DHCP/IPAM).
The idea is to use IPAM as a central repository, which is linked to DNS
(and DHCP if needed), and only use IPAM as point of management.
A good IPAM solution will bring simplification to IPv6 deploiement, both at
subnet and host level.
So when you create a new /48 network, the matching .ip6.arpa zone would be
created on your DNS servers, and same idea when creating IPs (i.e. creation
of AAAA and PTR).
Additionally, you can integrate checks and best practices (naming
conventions) into your IPAM.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Nicolas.