AAAA record for localhost or not?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:13:13 CEST 2012

When I recently switched to a Windows 7 laptop, here's what I found
in the MS-provided hosts file:

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

So not all resolvers need you to add anything at all.

Oh, and:

C:\windows\system32>ping localhost

Pinging BEC [::1] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms
Reply from ::1: time<1ms