IPv6 Ignorance

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Sep 18 13:20:06 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 01:06:10PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> > Xs4all in the Netherlands is enabling it per default on with their
> > new customers since about IPv6 day 2012 or so.
> >
> > They ship a AVM Fritz!Box to their customers.
>
> And the Fritz!Box contains a pre-provisioned config with IPv6 enabled?

In the case of Unitymedia in Germany, yes, that's the case for the
DS-Lite based products. We^WThey are using AVM FritzBox 6320/6360 Cable,
with dualstack v4+v6 enabled on LAN/WLAN by default - and actually not
even possible to disable by the end user.

Kabel Deutschland uses some Hitron CPE I'm not familiar with.

> The residential customers LAN is the most heterogeneous network in the
> world and most likely contains the most embedded and untested v6 stacks
> you'll find together in one network - so breakage is expected.

Yep, but what I'm hearing from the ISP actually doing dualstack on
LAN-side of ISP-controlled CPEs, there is no noticable (as in: gets
identified as IPv6-related, statistical relevant issue for the customer
support organisation) breakage occurring. Which doesn't mean that there
is no breakage.

The magic keyword might be "ISP-controlled CPEs" as we've invested a
lot of work (and thus money) to make sure the deployed CPEs conform
to RFC6204(bis) and in their general behaviour to common sense...
to make sure the customer has good chances not to run into
implementation quirks which make dualstack operations painful.
Like e.g. CPEs mucking around with LAN MTU in RAs, depending on WAN
interface configuration and operational status, which is a complete
no-go.

Best regards,
Daniel