IPv6 Ignorance

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Sep 18 13:06:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:49:57PM +0200, Seth Mos wrote:
> Xs4all in the Netherlands is enabling it per default on with their
> new customers since about IPv6 day 2012 or so.
>
> They ship a AVM Fritz!Box to their customers.

And the Fritz!Box contains a pre-provisioned config with IPv6 enabled?

We have it enabled on the BRAS for all Customers - customer simply have
to use a single click in the CPE - for now its all AVM world ...

> >We have it enabled by default on the BRAS e.g. RA + DHCP-PD but we
> >are hesitating to send out the CPE with IPv6 enabled by default.
>
> Why?
>
> The to be released pfSense 2.1 will default to IPv4 DHCP and IPv6
> DHCP-PD. I don't see why not. If the ISP supplies it, why not use
> it?

It might be surprising for customers to see their Home Electronics get
v6 connectivity. I personally had astonishing side effects at home e.g.
not beeing able to print anymore due to v6 connectivity because cups
forgot to listen on the v6 address and v4 fallback of the cups client
not working as expected.

Enabling it without user interaction for the home LAN might cause
effects like this and i'd like to hear experiences.

The residential customers LAN is the most heterogeneous network in the
world and most likely contains the most embedded and untested v6 stacks
you'll find together in one network - so breakage is expected.

Flo