IPv6 Ignorance

Ole Trøan otroan at employees.org
Tue Sep 18 11:39:26 CEST 2012

Jeroen,

>> As far as I can tell when I tested this, even in bridge mode you can let
>> the downstream router do the 6rd.
>>
>> So it's possible, but requires support in the "downstream" CPE. Somehow
>> we keep circling back to "Start"...
>>
>> I worked on a user's pfSense install on a Swisscom connection while
>> debugging 6rd support.
>
> Yes, that can work, as it is just proto-41 and any Linux/*BSD box
> terminates that perfectly fine (given it has 6rd support, which current
> kernels most of the time have, heck it is proto-41 with special config).
>
> Still, as I stated, it is not native and you get a MTU of 1280 and
> dynamic prefix, thus for me there is no reason to change that.
>
> Having it native would maybe change my mind though :)

there is nothing intrinsic in a 1280 MTU or a dynamic prefix with 6rd.
that's if so a deployment choice. you can very well get a dynamic prefix with "native IPv6"
in the access network too.

6rd offers native IPv6 on the LAN side.

as an end user, why would you care how the traffic was carried in the network?
is PPPoE over L2TP "native"? is anything over an MPLS tunnel native? ;-)

cheers,
Ole