IPv6 Ignorance

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Sep 18 11:17:38 CEST 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:53:25AM +0200, Jens Link wrote:
> There are rumors that the  big players like Deutsche Telekom and Kabel
> Deutschland are ready to give IPv6 to end users.

Kabel Deutschland and Unitymedia are already selectively deploying
DS-Lite based products, presenting dualstack on the CPE LAN interface(s)
as part of normal service provisioning.

> They are just not willing to.

Only partially correct. They (KDG/UM) don't enable dualstack to existing
customers (yet - hopefully that'll change on day, but I don't hold my
breath - no direct gain for the ISP, just additional risk).

Deploying IPv6 is a risk, and the main (only real) driver is IPv4
depletion. So operators tend to do the bare minimum to tackle that
problem (and thus take least chances).

Best regards,
Daniel