IPv6 Ignorance

Jens Link lists at quux.de
Sun Sep 16 21:01:10 CEST 2012

JP Viljoen <froztbyte at froztbyte.net> writes:

> Personally, I think all such reasons are … antiquated. Anyone got any
> suggestions on how to approach people who rile against it?

Easy: Don't argue! Let them continue using vintage IP. Only offer to
help once. And if you can choose between a service using only vintage IP
and one that is dual stacked, use the last one and let the first one
know why you changed.

And keep a list of all the people you asked about IPv6 and who claimed
that they don't need it. And have your special[1] consulting rate ready
for these people when they really urgently need IPv6. And they will need
IPv6 urgently.

This whole IPv6 business reminds me a little oft 1999. In May or June
of 1999 I went to a database training course. Trainer: "I told my first
customer about the year 2000 problem in 1981. He called last
week. Does anybody know Cobol?"

Jens
[1] Depending on my mood it's currently three times what I charge
    normally. Today five times. But I think I'll be visting my dentist
    tomorrow.