extending at the edge - Yes!

Thomas Schäfer thomas at cis.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Oct 12 21:12:56 CEST 2012

Am 11.10.2012 01:40, schrieb Cameron Byrne:
> Yes, IETF is looking into this  case. Please feel free to comment on
 > it here or v6ops http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-byrne-v6ops-64share

That's great!!

It works.

I share my /64-net. I can use both notebooks at the same time.
I made it with the linux-qmi-wwan-driver. It is not easy to assume that
I could change a emulated LAN to a point-to-point-link. Therefore I had
to add
sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.proxy_ndp = 1
and
ip -6 neigh add proxy 2a01:db8:24c:c144:21f:c6ff:fe3e:ba27 dev wwan0

(the address is from the second notebook)

This could probably done by the new ndppd.

The whole procedure should be scripted/automated. But it is not
impossible. No ip6table-hacks are needed.

 From getting the prefix/ip by the ISP, setting the LAN-IP, change the
routes, change  the /etc/radvd.conf, (re)start the radvd and setting the
ndp-proxys.

Not to forget:net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1

The second notebook has not to be changed. Only one thing I did manually
everywhere: setting the DNS-resolvers to the /etc/resolv.conf .

To make it user-friendly could be challenge. e.g. the integration in the
networkmanager - there have to be managed two interfaces at the same time.

Regards,

Thomas