extending at the edge

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Thu Oct 11 14:53:06 CEST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> iirc there were attempts to educate the 3GPP world before they created
> the current situation, but those attempts failed.

Actually, I don't think they failed. I believe that at the time the 3GPP
was considering assigning each handset a /128, but the IETF pushed back and
said it had to be /64. As a result, /64 was explicitly hardcoded into the
3GPP the standard (to the chagrin of some) and I have personally cited it
when explaining to operators that they can't decide which IID (or even how
many IIDs) the phone picks for itself.