extending at the edge

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu Oct 11 09:47:33 CEST 2012

Op 10-10-2012 23:57, Ben Jencks schreef:
> On 10/10/2012 04:48 PM, Daniel Roesen wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 05:11:27PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

>> Cable (DOCSIS) networks use DHCPv6 to assign CPE/WAN addresses, not
>> SLAAC. LAN prefixes are delegated via DHCPv6-PD indeed.
>
> In my area, Comcast doesn't assign global addresses on the WAN side at
> all. You use RAs to get a default route to a link-local address, and
> DHCP-PD to get your LAN prefix, and that's it.

 From my understanding and contact with Comcast they will support DHCP6
clients, e.g. windows and mac when connected without a router. I do
believe they have disabled SLAAC.

The few pfSense installs I had access to had a DHCP6 address on the WAN
too. Perhaps yours only requests a prefix, which is valid. I'd just
expected it to request both a prefix and a address.

Regards,

Seth