extending at the edge

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Oct 11 07:47:39 CEST 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012, Gert Doering wrote:

> 3G/LTE doesn't yet (!) support DHCP-PD, but as detailed, this is not a
> particular problem - those few networks and devices that can handle IPv6
> today are fine sharing their network-assigned /64 on the LAN.

Agree. And just to qualify "yet", getting widespread support for DHCPv6-PD
on 3GPP networks is probably 1-2 years out. It's in the standard
specification (3GPP release 10) already, but getting stable code that does
this is probably 2013 timeframe or later. Then we have the whole mess of
getting cellular devices to actually support this as well, and judging
from current device support for IPv6, I wouldn't hold my breath. I do
encourage everybody to request support for this from device vendors if you
ever procure this type of equipment!

For those so inclined, 3GPP UMTS release 10 specifications can be read at
<http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/123000_123099/123060/10.09.00_60/ts_123060v100900p.pdf>
(section 9.2.1.2), or if you want to read the LTE specs, it's at
<http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/123400_123499/123401/10.08.00_60/ts_123401v100800p.pdf>
in section 5.3.1.2.6.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se