ipv6 & login frame

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Oct 7 08:05:51 CEST 2012

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012, Martin Millnert wrote:

> This is well-known within the Swedish ISP community and at least one of
> our fellow ipv6-ops subscribers just recently escalated this to the
> Swedish regulatory authority.  There is a severe lack-of-clue problem +
> a large-organisation problem in play. We (ok, mostly friends) have been
> trying to help them for what, close to 6 months now?  Some ITIL / Change
> Request method in combination with lack of clue that explains this
> cl**ster***k I guess.

I am having a hard time describing to everybody involved the difference
between "all resources are not IPv6 enabled" and "the IPv6 enabled
resources need to have full functionality".

I am in talks with people at Arbetsförmedlingen (via their website),
department of commerce (personal connection), and the swedish
telecommunications regulatory entity (people responding on my initial
inquiry, plus escalation to their highest manager).

One thing that makes people wake up a little bit is when I say it's better
if 0 swedish goverment agencies IPv6 enable by 2016, instead of 1 of them
doing what Arbetsförmedlingen did, and ask their *users* to turn off IPv6
to get basic functionality.

It's ok to have limited IPv6 enablement, but the one you IPv6 enable
should have full functionality. *Never* ask user to turn off IPv6, then
you're doing it wrong.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se