IPv6 Ignorance

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Oct 5 20:15:09 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 10:31:40AM -0600, Tim Densmore wrote:
> Well, my argument isn't exactly that IPv6 isn't needed, only that I have
> seen significant resistance to spending money and very little desire for
> the product itself.

That's the problem: IPv6 is not a "product".  It's plumbing.

People do not ask for "IPv4" either, they want "Internet".

Now, the problem here is - using IPv4-only, "Internet" is going to be
expensive and increasingly fragile and non-working in the not-so-far
future (multiple layers of NATs, half of those overloaded at peak
times, etc.) - so to be able to sell the product "Internet", we all
need to move to new plumbing.  IPv6.

> Add to that the fact that, for most people at
> least, IPv6 doesn't allow them access to anything they want that they
> don't already have, and I can understand why there's not more uptake.

Don't *ask*, just *ship* - make it part of the standard package, and
just deliver it.  (I'm not claiming we're fully there yet, but for example
all our mail products [finally] have IPv6 capable MXes now...)

> In terms of supply and demand, there's very limited of supply (I'm only
> seeing around 10k IPv6 BGP routes in my routing table, and I'd estimate
> 2 or 3 percent of websites I visit are "IPV6" according to sixornot),
> and basically zero demand. Again, IMO/IME, I don't mean to speak in
> absolutes here at all.

If you count percentage of webservers, we have a long way to go, yes.

If you count percentage of *traffic* that would use IPv6 if it's
available at the client machine (and it's not a dumb Apple device),
you'll see 20-40% due to google, youtube and facebook being v6-capable
today.  That's a significant load reduction on your carrier-grade NAT
box, and thus actually helps lower costs, while keeping the service
up (no 3rd party NAT in the path).

Servers will, unfortunately, have to have an IPv4+IPv6 face towards
"the Internet".  Clients, OTOH, will *have* to move to IPv6+NAT64 or
IPv6+NAT444 in the very near future, as there are just no more IPv4
addresses in Europe and Asia to permit DSL, Cable, 3G providers to
grow any further.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279