IPv6 Firewall on CPEs - Default on or off

Wade Roberts ipv6-ops at acquired-taste.net
Wed Nov 28 13:42:57 CET 2012

I'm firmly in the 'off by default camp', but might I suggest an experiment.

Set the default to randomly enable or disable the firewall at boot. If a customer finds it inconvenient they can permanently disable it. If they're paranoid, they can opt to keep it on.

Figure out a mechanism to capture the firewall state of supplied devices 3, 6 and 12 months after deployment, input that data into your long-term decision tree.

--
Wade