IPv6 Firewall on CPEs - Default on or off

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Mon Nov 26 14:38:30 CET 2012

Ragnar,

I should monitor this mailing list more often as I missed a fun discussion.

Yes, disable firewall for BOTH IPv4 and IPv6 (of course keep NAT44) as previously written the killing arguments IMHO are:
- hosts are mobile anyway and won't always be protected by your CPE
- malware comes over subscriber-initiated connections, so, a pure L3-L4 firewall is pretty useless (cfr Erik's referenced paper)
- only valid protection used by serious people is at least UTM (containing a basic malware detection based on signatures à la IPS or anti-virus -- cfr adv-security draft at the IETF)

-éric