Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Nov 22 11:54:49 CET 2012

On 21/11/2012 12:02, Phil Mayers wrote:
> This matches our observations. The (few) problems we've seen have been
> services which advertise AAAAs but don't function correctly.

otoh, the plural of anecdote is not data.  It would be very interesting to
get some form of telemetry on this (via e.g. browser plugins, etc) to try
to understand the nature + categorisation of dual-stack connectivity issues.

Having said that, this issue goes well beyond browsers - although being an
interactive medium, browsers are acutely affected by the problem.  This
would suggest that a consistent socket API which implemented some form of
HE behaviour might be a Real Good Idea, regardless of the underlying mechanism.

Nick