Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

nick hatch nicholas.hatch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 22:41:10 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, find the IPv4 address of www.msftnsci.com,
> in my case 23.62.53.58,
>
> and then add an entry to your hosts file like this:
>
> #confuse the Windows v6 connectivity test by pointing it to IPv4
> 23.62.53.58     ipv6.msftncsi.com
>
> It works beautifully.

For those of you following along at home, note that several letters in '
www.msftnsci.com' are transposed (should be ' www.msftncsi.com ') -- lest
you go down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out if you're using a
malicious resolver, or wondering what country 'VG' is.

This hack might not be too stable: note that www.msftncsi.com is a CNAME to
an Akamai CDN host. In my experience, Akamai addressing is quite dynamic,
and pinning to an IP literal will probably break sometime in the near
future.

-n