PXE booting over IPv6

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Nov 21 14:01:34 CET 2012

* Sander Steffann

>> Assuming a 24 port C3560-X switch, the GPL cost is:
>>
>> LAN Base:			$0
>> IP Base:	C3560X-24-L-S=	$900
>> IP Services:	C3560X-24-L-E=	$4900
>>
>> The switch hardware itself (WS-C3560X-24T-L) has a list price of $3400.
>>
>> I.e. the license to get even base ipv6 L3 functionality (e.g. interface
>> configuration) costs almost 50% more than the price of the switch.
>>
>> This seriously sucks.
>
> Yes, that sucks enough to buy switches from a different vendor...

It's not only Cisco:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos12.1/topics/concept/ex-series-software-licenses-overview.html

If you need RIPng or OSPFv3, the licencing may set you back more than
the switch hardware and the base licence, depending on which model
you're buying. AFAICT, the worst cases are the EX3200-24T and the
EX3300-24T, where the required licenses alone list at 133% of the price
of the hardware (which includes licences for RIPv2 and OSPFv2).

Fair enough for BGP and IS-IS, though, as you'll need the same licences
for both IPv4 and IPv6.

So while we're all struggling to find a good business case for deploying
IPv6, our friendly networking vendors are providing us with a solid
business case against it. Thanks guys....

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com