PXE booting over IPv6

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Wed Nov 21 13:15:43 CET 2012

On 21/11/2012 11:50, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> Is that still so? When I talked years ago to our networking people,
> they said they would buy the upgraded hardware the next time they
> replaced anyway, as upgrading the firmware for new features was
> prohibitive. I'd assumed that v6 was available in new equipment since
> at least several years.

There are three licenses:

LAN base: static ipv4 routing only, no dynamic ipv4 routing, no ipv6
IP base: static + rip/ospf/eigrp ipv4 routing, no ipv6.
IP Services: static/rip/ospf/eigrp/isis/bgp ipv4 routing, static/rip/eigrp
ipv6 routing.

There's no isis/bgp4 ipv6 routing support on this platform at the moment.

Assuming a 24 port C3560-X switch, the GPL cost is:

LAN Base:			$0
IP Base:	C3560X-24-L-S=	$900
IP Services:	C3560X-24-L-E=	$4900

The switch hardware itself (WS-C3560X-24T-L) has a list price of $3400.

I.e. the license to get even base ipv6 L3 functionality (e.g. interface
configuration) costs almost 50% more than the price of the switch.

This seriously sucks.

Nick