Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Nov 21 02:54:36 CET 2012

On 11/20/2012 5:38 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us
> <mailto:dougb at dougbarton.us>> wrote:
>
>     I tend to agree with the spirit of this implementation (and for the
>     record, I would have done HE differently in any case), but my
>     immediate concern is for the "cached known-good IPv6" state when
>     there is an intermittent problem on the link.
>

> Look at it this way: in IPv4, if you have intermittent problems on a
> link... well, it intermittently doesn't work. For thirty years, the
> answer to that problem has been, "don't give a host an address (or
> router, or DNS server, etc.) that doesn't work".

Oh c'mon, that's just silly. The intermittent problems are almost
certainly not the fault of the content end of the system, they are
almost certainly on the user end, or somewhere in between. If everyone
applied your reasoning above to its rational conclusion, the answer
would be simple. Don't give anything you care about a quad-A.

We have to be able to deal rationally with the issue of the IPv4 network
having a high degree of reliability and familiarity vs. the IPv6 network
which by comparison has neither. Otherwise we've removed the motivation
from both sides of the network to deploy it.

Doug