Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Wed Nov 21 01:56:57 CET 2012

On 11/16/2012 1:36 AM, Christopher Palmer wrote:
> There are other solutions to the brokenness problem from our
> counterparts at Google, Apple, etc. I think those have considerable
> merit, the diversity of solutions is a sign of the diverse viewpoints
> that intelligent people can have in this space. I think our design is
> the right model for Windows as an operating system to undertake, to
> ensure a good experience for users throughout the transition, while
> ensuring that the transition actually happens.
>
> I know people might disagree and have further feedback, but I hope this
> assuages much of the concern.

Christopher,

Thank you for engaging with our community in this way, I think it's
beneficial to all concerned. Please don't take the following question as
anything other than genuine curiosity, in the spirit you describe above ...

I'm curious about why MS chose not to simply implement the Happy
Eyeballs protocol? While I think that the approach you describe does
indeed have merit, it also has a lot of "issues," especially during the
current transition period where a successful IPv6 connection today might
not be so successful tomorrow, or even an hour from now. The HE protocol
was designed to take sporadic problems into account, and provide the
best overall user experience for all sites, with a slight preference to
v6 transport. If there was something we missed in designing that
protocol which caused MS to go a completely different direction I think
it would benefit the community to know more about what when into that
decision.

Best regards,

Doug