PXE booting over IPv6

Tore Anderson tore.anderson at redpill-linpro.com
Tue Nov 20 19:21:40 CET 2012

* Thomas Schäfer

> today I was surprised. An quite new notebook started the network boot
> option with a messages about "PXE over IPv6".

Cool! Which manufacturer and model was it?

> Has somebody good information/tutorials for PXE over IPv6, or own
> experiences with (linux preferred ) setup?

I've been wanting IPv6 network booting for [virtual] servers for a while
now. There's some patches available for iPXE/gPXE but I haven't had much
success making them actually work. So our provisioning systems still
have a hard dependency on IPv4 for now.

The server manufacturers have some work to do also. We're partial to the
Cisco UCS gear these days, but it's unfortunately a completely IPv4-only
solution. Hopefully it'll improve soon.

--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/