Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Fri Nov 16 22:31:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 03:57:31PM +0100, Dick Visser wrote:
> My intern is looking into IPv6-only-izing VMware, but ran into issues
> with software updating, because 'hostupdate.vmware.com' sits in Akamai
> and has only IPv4.

IPv6-only Ubuntu hosts have a similar problem; there are enough IPv6-reachable package mirrors that regular updates work fine, but the release-upgrade process requires a connection to a v4-only host. Unfortunately it's hosted by Canonical, not Akamai, so they'll have to v6-enable it themselves (and there's no sign of that happening).

Bill.