Yesterday's Windows update causes IPv4 to be default

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Wed Nov 14 23:20:57 CET 2012

The URL it tries to visit is http://ipv6.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt, and
searching the Internet for that FQDN yields some details of how it
works.  If it can't retrieve the expected text at that URL, Windows
will order IPv6 to the bottom of its address preference table (by
tweaking its internal RFC3484 rules).  The success (or failure) to
get to that IPv6 site is remembered for that network for 30 days,
and then re-tested.  I don't know how to encourage it to try a
fresh test, but there must be a registry setting to force that to
occur.

-d