Skype 8 does not support ipv6

Dan York york at isoc.org
Fri Nov 2 15:55:28 CET 2012

On Nov 2, 2012, at 10:48 AM, Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca> wrote:

> rewind 10 years ago when Microsoft claimed that Vista and all Microsoft software was able to work in IPv6-only mode. I guess Microsoft Skype does not follow that promise.

Ha!  Well, in fairness let's note that Microsoft's acquisition of Skype only closed a year ago (Oct 2011) and they've spent a substantial part of that year trying to figure out how to exist within Microsoft and also how to make Skype work well with Lync and now with Windows 8.  Now that they've got a lot of that integration work well underway let's see if they can start to look at some of these underlying issues.

One point is that Skype's P2P routing and directory mechanism is proprietary and we've never really been able to see how they create their P2P networks and internal infrastructure.  It could be that perhaps there is a critical reliance on IPv4 addresses in some part of their system.  We don't have any way of knowing... but perhaps getting IPv6 support in there may be a very difficult undertaking.

Dan