Icmp access lists on dhcp-pd deployments

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu May 31 16:29:39 CEST 2012

Op 31-5-2012 15:58, SM schreef:
> Hi Seth,
> At 22:56 30-05-2012, Seth Mos wrote:
>> As a pfSense developer I've already seen a few of our 2.1 development
>> installs in the field on DHCP-PD connections. Be it DHCP6 on PPPoE or
>> on ethernet.
>>
>> What I'm seeing is that ICMP6 (echo) is allowed to the internet but I
>> can't actually ping the link-local address of the default gateway.
>>
>> Is this something that could be worked into a RFC so that users can
>> always verify that their default gateway works? It seems highly
>> counter intuitive to block ICMP6 for a link that you know belongs to
>> your client and own network.
>
> RFC 4890 provides some recommendations about filtering ICMPv6 messages
> in firewalls. There is a discussion of ICMPv6 Echo in that document.
> Does it address the above?

I think it does, but they mention echo and reply seperate from the
router advertisements and solicits.

They do not explicitly cover the case of ICMP6 echo/reply on link-local
addressing, although section 4.4 "Recommendations for ICMPv6 Local
Configuration Traffic" says this:

"4.4.1.  Traffic That Must Not Be Dropped

    Error messages that are essential to the establishment and
    maintenance of communications:

    o  Destination Unreachable (Type 1) - All codes
    o  Packet Too Big (Type 2)
    o  Time Exceeded (Type 3) - Code 0 only
    o  Parameter Problem (Type 4) - Codes 1 and 2 only

    Connectivity checking messages:

    o  Echo Request (Type 128)
    o  Echo Response (Type 129)

    As discussed in Section 4.3.1,"

I would think that covers link-local traffic, so that makes me wonder
why a ISP would find blocking this neccesary.

Regards,

Seth