Icmp access lists on dhcp-pd deployments

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Thu May 31 10:25:50 CEST 2012

Op 31-5-2012 9:59, Jens Link schreef:
> Seth Mos<seth.mos at dds.nl>  writes:
>
>> What I'm seeing is that ICMP6 (echo) is allowed to the internet but I
>> can't actually ping the link-local address of the default gateway.

Ah, sorry for the confusion, the gateway I am referring to is the *ISP*
gateway. Not on the lan.

Why would the ISP block link-local on the link to the customer on
purpose? That just invalidates all level 1 debugging to see if the
connection works. Ehn?

> You did specify the outgoing interface? Or do you mean there is a filter
> on the provider side?

There is a filter on the provider side. I sent a message earlier about
6to4 relays not replying to ICMP6 too.

It's not limited to 6to4 though, the 6rd Relay from Charter does not
respond to the gateway address either. But you can ping ipv6.google.com.
That's just broke.

> Here (Linux as Host and a Fritzbox as default gateway):

Yeah, so far, all the other CPE I ran into just replies to icmp on the
link-local.

Regards,

Seth