Question: Sharing an IP-connection

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Mon May 21 16:52:30 CEST 2012

On Mon, 21 May 2012, Thomas Schäfer wrote:

> Am 21.05.2012 16:13, schrieb Marc Blanchet:
>
>> what you are describing is either: a) a provider that does offer a
>> prefix for your LAN but you are not requesting it. b) a provider that
>> does not offer any prefix for your LAN.
>>
>> You should start trying solving a) by starting an instance of a
>> DHCPv6 client and requesting a prefix (DHCPv6-PD). if no answer, then
>> you are probably in b) mode. In this latter case, complain to your
>> ISP.
>
> a:) I get no DHCP at this point, but a have to check it more in detail, also
> what RA is telling me.
> If I am correctly informed, I have the "choice" between ppp with DHCPv6-PD
> via serial interface or simply SLAAC/RA via ethernet-like-interface. The
> latter is preferred mode.

They are not exclusive:

1. SLAAC/RA on WAN interface - this is optional
2. get prefix for LAN interfaces via DHCPv6-PD independently from WAN
configuration.

On choice for WAN:
1. unnumbered:
- PPP on serial
- RA without prefix information on Ethernet

2. numbered
- RA with prefix information
- DHCPv6 if RA says so

> b:) this is a mobile device, for one device one /64 should be enough.

for

> b,1) to complain the ISP seems useless to me, it is a test-system
>
> The only thing I want to have is a comfortable method to share some IPs - I
> have 2?? and it seems more difficult than NAT in the old IPv4-days.

DHCPv6 prefix delegation is rather easy - your system should support it
(setting up routing for the delegated prefix - usually not very difficult)
and ISP also.