Gmail MX over IPv6

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Jun 17 01:03:28 CEST 2012

On 15/06/2012 23:30, Luca BRUNO wrote :
> I'm not sure if it is a recent change or if I have just been
> white-listed, but today in mailserver logs I've spotted that gmail.com
> is already accepting mail over an IPv6 MX:

Yes, but they appear to have "forgotten" googlemail.com which at some
point used to call gmail.

[root at waikiki log]# dig +short mx googlemail.com
10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
20 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
30 alt3.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
40 alt4.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
[root at waikiki log]# dig +short gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
173.194.67.27

Also -- did anyone check whether it breaks the SPF checking? It appears
that when gmail received email by IPv6, it doesn't recognise the IPv6
address which my mailer uses as a permitted sender, thus spf=softfail

Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning ocl at gih.com does not designate 2a00:19e8:10:5::b as permitted sender) client-ip=2a00:19e8:10:5::b;

vs.

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of ocl at gih.com designates 212.124.200.129 as permitted sender) client-ip=212.124.200.129;

Anyone else with this problem?