Have we been opted out of IPv6 AAAA resolution?

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 6 22:33:09 CEST 2012

On 6 Jun 2012, at 20:55, Matt Ryanczak wrote:

> On 6/6/12 1:12 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
>> ISTR that someone mentioned problems with MacOS+PrivacyExt+WLAN before...
>
> I owe an update to that thread but for now if you have:
>
> Card Type:	AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0xD6)
> Firmware Version:	Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.106.198.4.20)
>
> on your mac you may find that MacOS+PrivacyExt+WLAN(Cisco WLC in
> particular) is a problem. If you suffer from the problem we've seen you
> can sidestep the issue by disabling privacy extensions or using a
> different access point (A Cisco/Linksys e4500 in our case).

OK, thanks.  Who needs privacy anyway? ;)

Have also had it suggested by Eric Vyncke that the WLC's "first hop security"
implementation only allows 8 IPs per MAC, so if you happen to cycle through
privacy addresses quickly you could be in trouble.

I assume there's some setting for how fast those get aged out, but we'll see...

Tim