Extension headers and firewalls

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) evyncke at cisco.com
Mon Jul 23 10:15:58 CEST 2012

Brian,

Assuming that by PIX you actually mean Cisco ASA (the new name), then indeed by default (prior version 8.4.2) ASA drops all packets containing RH0 or unknown extension header/layer-4 protocol (hence probably blocking also shim6). Since version 8.4.2, you can selectively permit/deny any specific extension header.

Hope it helps

-éric