SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 11:47:37 CEST 2012

On 07/18/2012 10:10 AM, Liviu Pislaru wrote:
> hi,
>
> I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but i'll give it a try:

It's not really. cisco-nsp would be better, since it's a Cisco-specific
question.

> Does anyone knows if there is any SNMP OID for IPv6 traffic on CISCO

As Gert has said, there isn't. Can't be done. Impossible.

> As an workaround, i use dot1q subinterfaces between Cisco7600 routers
> for v4 and v6 traffic but this is not always applicableat the edge of
> the network (CDN, PNI, etc.)

One other workaround is:

  1. Use a QoS policy map on the interface matching all IPv6 traffic
  2. Enable QoS statistics export

This is a neat trick which we've used successfully. It has limits, and
requires you enable QoS on the platform which opens a whole bunch more
things to think about. But it does get you IPv6 traffic per-interface.
I'm not sure if you can get the counters via SNMP though.