CloudFlare IPv6 BGP announcements - WTF guys?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Tue Jul 17 10:04:23 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:36:35PM +0100, Sascha Luck wrote:
> Which, IMO does a lot more harm to ipv6 adoption than
> a few deagreggated /48s in a routing table that is by
> no means crowded (yet) anyway.

Uh, while the IPv6 routing table is not crouded, the amount of ("few")
deaggregated prefixes is actually somewhat unsettling - we see about
the same amount of prefixes announced "as allocated" and "more specific" -
about 4100 prefixes matching LIR allocations, and about 4000 being
"more specifics from LIR allocations", plus about 1200 "PI as assigned"
and 700 "more specific than assigned" (which might be due to aggregation
*in the assignment records* - like, 8 /48s given out, but documented as
a /45).

Further, the ratio between "exact match" and "more specific" has shifted
significantly in the last 18 months, from about 2:1 to about 1:1 now.

Numbers are here: http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/weekly/2012/29/ - pretty
far down the page, "Routing Table by Class of Prefix".

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279