CloudFlare IPv6 BGP announcements - WTF guys?

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Sat Jul 14 22:45:34 CEST 2012

On 14.07.2012 13:34, Oliver wrote:
> So, doing a "sh bgp ipv6 uni 2400:cb00::/32 long" reveals that CloudFlare are
> currently announcing a bunch of /48s to the rest of the internet through
> nLayer only - as far as I can see.
>
> Simple suggestion: announce the /32 to the internet from all peering points
> like good Netizens and then announce your /48s from whatever peering it is you
> want the traffic sent to and tag it with the NO_EXPORT community attribute so
> you're not spamming up everyone's tables or hoisting yourselves by your own
> petard by getting filtered out.

Akamai is (at least in RIPE space) now having the same problem. They
used to announce the /32 from somewhere and additional /48s, so at least
the traffic went somewhere. They dropped the /32 now, so everyone
filtering strict has no route to Akamai anymore.

FWIW, I'm talking about 2a02:26f0::/32. There are Akamai clusters in ISP
PA space that still work of course.

Bernhard