RIPE-555 fundamentaly changes the way how we can filter IPv6 & IPv4 martians?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Thu Jul 12 10:23:56 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:05:44AM +0200, Chris Welti wrote:
> Apart from that there is the issue of filtering IPv4 prefixes, which
> is a lot worse now.

I don't know any background about this document change - but regarding
IPv4 prefix filtering, this is just what we'll have to live with.  IPv4
is running out, and as soon as the wall has been hit, the RIPE NCC will
not be able to maintain minimum allocation/assignment sizes - how do
you justify telling people "well, there still is space in 62.0.0.0/8,
but we are not giving you your /22, because the minimum allocation size
is /21, and there is no policy that we can ever give you a /21 under"?

If you do not want to carry everything there is, you could just put
up an arbitrary limit of your own choosing, and add a default route
to your upstreams.  (Which is what we do for prefixes coming from
other regions, as it doesn't make a huge difference for us where we
send traffic for a random american /24 to - all our upstreams will
do a reasonable job in delivering the packets.  If they don't, we find
new upstreams that do)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279