ip6tables and multiple possible source addresses

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 20:48:57 CET 2012

The fact is that

a) this sort of scenario is intrinsic to the design of IPv6, so get used to it.

b) it is *very* hard to get border router and firewall configurations correct
to deal with it. In fact, reports on the reachability of 2404:138:4004::1 and
2001:df0:0:201e::1 would help me a lot right now: they are the same machine,
but we are having difficulty getting them both pingable simultaneously.

c) the IETF is trying to sort this out in the MIF (multiple interface) and
HOMENET WGs, but for now it does seem to be a matter of twiddling router
rules and firewall rules by hand. Not pretty.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter