Linux Temporary Address - Premature expiry

rodolfo.garciapenas at telefonica.es rodolfo.garciapenas at telefonica.es
Fri Jan 13 17:19:53 CET 2012

Yes, it is set in the same file, some lines below.

Regards.
kix

                   Sebastian
                   Wiesinger
                   <ipv6-ops at ml.k                                     Para
                   arotte.org>               ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de
                   Enviado por:                                         cc
                   ipv6-ops-bounc
                   es                                               Asunto
                   +rodolfo.garci            Re: Linux Temporary Address -
                   apenas=telefon            Premature expiry
                   ica.es at lists.c                            Clasificación
                   luenet.de

                   13/01/2012
                   17:10

* Sebastian Wiesinger <ipv6-ops at ml.karotte.org> [2012-01-13 16:06]:
> Hello,
>
> I don't know if anyone (except me) tries to use IPv6 temporary
> addresses (Privacy Extensions) on Linux.
>
> I tried to use them but noticed that temp_prefered_lft (86400) and
> temp_valid_lft (806400) are ignored. My linux changes temporary
> addresses every hour and the old address disappears.

Okay, I think I found the problem:

My router is sending it's RAs with

Valid time              :         7200 (0x00001c20) seconds
Pref. time              :         3600 (0x00000e10) seconds

The linux kernel compares temp_prefered_lft / temp_valid_lft to these
and then uses the lesser of the two.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
'Are you Death?' ... IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE