Linux Temporary Address - Premature expiry

rodolfo.garciapenas at telefonica.es rodolfo.garciapenas at telefonica.es
Fri Jan 13 16:28:24 CET 2012

Hi,

Go to the kernel source folder ( /usr/src/linux-source-*/net/ipv6) and
search for "temp_prefered_lft" you will see that the variable is set at
addressconf.c

.temp_valid_lft = TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME;

If you search for this constant, is set at include/net/addrconf.h (one week
at 3.0 kernel)

#define TEMP_VALID_LIFETIME (7*86400)

Same idea for the other variable (is the next line in the files :-)

Regards,
kix

PS. I am using 3.0, the values may be change.

                   Sebastian
                   Wiesinger
                   <ipv6-ops at ml.k                                     Para
                   arotte.org>               IPv6 operators forum
                   Enviado por:              <ipv6-ops at lists.cluenet.de>
                   ipv6-ops-bounc                                       cc
                   es
                   +rodolfo.garci                                   Asunto
                   apenas=telefon            Linux Temporary Address -
                   ica.es at lists.c            Premature expiry
                   luenet.de                                 Clasificación

                   13/01/2012
                   16:04

Hello,

I don't know if anyone (except me) tries to use IPv6 temporary
addresses (Privacy Extensions) on Linux.

I tried to use them but noticed that temp_prefered_lft (86400) and
temp_valid_lft (806400) are ignored. My linux changes temporary
addresses every hour and the old address disappears.

That means that every ssh-session and other permanent connections get
disconnected every hour or so which is quite annoying.

Has anybody else experienced this and/or has a fix for me?

Kernel is: 2.6.39-bpo.2-686-pae (2.6.39 from Debian Backport)

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qlen 1000
    inet6 2001:4dd0:f8dd:0:1dbe:9b1d:5701:82bc/64 scope global temporary
dynamic
       valid_lft 5076sec preferred_lft 1476sec
    inet6 2001:4dd0:f8dd:0:f4e0:b756:3060:50c2/64 scope global temporary
deprecated dynamic
       valid_lft 1485sec preferred_lft 0sec

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
'Are you Death?' ... IT'S THE SCYTHE, ISN'T IT? PEOPLE ALWAYS NOTICE THE