yum IPv6 repos

Ron Broersma ron at spawar.navy.mil
Mon Feb 20 16:17:54 CET 2012

On Feb 19, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Bill Owens wrote:
> Some of the bid documents I've seen have included a request IPv6 support, from equipment and software vendors, and from ISPs. However, none have *required* IPv6, and I have not seen evidence of people refusing a lower price or making a change away from their preferred vendor because of IPv6. As a prime example, there's an ISP used by many US universities because they routinely sell bandwidth at around $1/Mbps/mo, and they are well known for having very weak v6 peering (no Hurricane Electric and no Google for starters). Clearly the price is more important than the v6, in that case.

The DREN3 procurement is an example of a major procurement that *requires* IPv6.  That RPF was published over a year ago (you can find it online, search for "DREN RFP") and makes it clear that IPv6 is a requirement.  To quote the RFP:

"DREN is identified as an IPv6 network with IPv4 legacy support.  Therefore, all systems, software, and equipment supporting the DREN network and its services shall handle IPv6 in an equivalent or better way than current IPv4 capabilities, performance, and security.  No systems, software, or equipment shall be deployed on the DREN that does not meet this requirement.  Additionally, all network management shall be enabled using IPv6 only."

Another example is a recent SPAWAR procurement for a network monitoring switch.  The deciding factor was IPv6, and Gigamon won out over Anue in that case.  An example where a product vendor (Anue) lost the business purely due to lack of IPv6 support.

I have many other examples.

But I agree that most organizations are not as diligent in this area, which hurts us all.  But for the organizations that I'm involved with, if you don't support IPv6 well and eat your own dogfood, we won't buy your stuff.  And we don't believe any "we support IPv6" claims unless we kick the tires, and run it in a production dual-stack environment for a while.

The "business case" for IPv6 is "business survival".  If you don't support v6, you won't survive.

--Ron