Skype & IPv6

Dick Visser visser at terena.org
Wed Feb 15 15:14:07 CET 2012

It's a kind of an ironic story, NAT was a workaround for IPv4 address shortage.
The whole world uses that now, but it turned out to have all kinds of
negative side-effects for certain applications that need e2e.
Skype created a workaround for that (one that really works well), so
the whole world now uses their software.
Unfortunately their 'workaround for a workaround' is so tied into the
first workaround (NAT) that it doesn't work with real solution (IPv6).

--
Dick Visser
System & Networking Engineer