(Loose) uRPF vs. non-announced IXP space

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 17:20:48 CET 2012

On 08/02/12 15:57, Daniel Roesen wrote:

>> Of course it's a SHOULD, so it's reasonable for an override option:
>>
>> ipv6 icmp source-address LoopbackX
>>
>> ...to exist. But not to be the default.
>
> ... which doesn't fix the underlying issue. Who says that routers do
> have loopbacks within a globally advertised prefix?

I don't disagree. Sourcing from the loopback was not my suggestion; I
was responding to the previous question.

I'm no expert on the design and operation of IXP networks, so I can't
comment on the correct solution - the thread that Bernhard linked to in
his 2nd message seems to list a few options, none of which were
universally liked.