another case of ipv6-only networks

Martin Millnert martin at millnert.se
Tue Dec 18 10:37:46 CET 2012

Hi,

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 08:38 +0100, Marco Sommani wrote:
> On 18/dic/2012, at 02:32, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>
> > http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=227979&
>

> What is the meaning of this statement?
>
> "DT is also taking advantage of the IPv6 header for storing
> policy-related information, thus letting services assign policy based
> on a quick glance at the header."
>
> Are they planning to modify the content of the Flow Label field of
> transiting packets, thus violating the recommendations of rfc6438?

I met Peter and Günther during the first half of 2011. Peter showed his
ideas and as I recall this part, the idea was to use a range of bits of
the IPv6 addresses to encode various policy settings.

W.r.t using IPv6 as a native transport Internet protocol for services,
it's at least the idea and aim with the concept, given IPv4 and
everything else is carried over the core encapsulated.
See especially the box called "Legacy Protocols" in slide 4 of
http://wielandmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/DT-0312-Clauberg-Transforming_Carrier_with_SDN.pdf  for their ambition in this regard.

AFAIK, there was then, and I cannot imagine it stopped, an extensive
engineering effort in DT on this from many angles, and I doubt it came
to a relatively large scale POC as it did, with too many design holes.

There are other issues to doing this, of course, which we were
discussing on IRC at length yesterday. :)

Best,
Martin