Congratulations to Germany, Netherlands and Portugal ;-)

Ignatios Souvatzis ignatios at cs.uni-bonn.de
Fri Dec 14 08:52:47 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:57:15AM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 12:51:32AM +0100, Martin Millnert wrote:
> > You can however set up port forwarding on a port or two in a CGN
> > device's public IPv4s to allow incoming sessions to be established
> > towards a subscriber's private IPv4 address.
>
> a _specific_ one, yes.
>
> > It could even be managed from some web interface/portal by customers
> > themselves.
>
> Yes, that concept is called PCP - Port forwarding Control Protocol and
> being actively worked on. Still, every NAT pool IP only has one TCP port
> 80, so usefulness for forwarding to server services on "well-known" (not
> the traditional definition of that!) ports is limited.

Well, yes, We knew that time would be coming. Before my second cup
of coffee in the morning I don't have too much energy too switch
off my "I've told you so" mood towards people who are 13 years
behind me on basic connectivity. And I've told them, too.

That said, I want to point out that, that at least the NRW predecessor
of Unitymedia, when I considered them for expanding my home connection
beyound ISDN 2x64000, didn't even offer fixed addresses at all (don't
know about their current products). So whoever ran a service at a fixed
port using a dynamic DNS service should have know that that was a horrible
hack, like people doing it on on other dynamic-address lines, and the only
reason was to avoid the slightly higher costs of paying an ISP who offered
a fixed address.

Regards,
	-is